Friday, September 2, 2011

Taking on Novi Sad by boat


Novi Sad's Fortress


I can finally say that I have spent an entire day in Novi Sad, a day which will be one of many. During the Bridge Year orientation past participants mentioned that life moves at a much slower pace in each country; today was definitely proof of that. I woke up around 7:45am despite the fact that my body was begging me not to, which goes to show you just how tormenting jet lag can be. But it's not even like my fatigue is consistent, for it comes in waves...one minute I'm about to pass out and the next I'm ready to take on Serbia (sort of). So after waking up at that ungodly hour, we walked with Ceca to the university to attend our first day of class. We surprised Ivana (our prof) with our knowledge of the alphabet and the random phrases that go along with it. However, that was pretty much the extent of my Serbian abilities. The first class made it evident that I really needed to learn the cyrillic symbols, so on our break after class that's exactly what I did with Jacob, Tucker, and Yentli at a local cafe (btdubs...cafes are everywhere). Ceca took us out to lunch after our first break and then we went to her place to hang out for a bit. We were then given another break to explore Novi Sad, but I used most of that time to lay down. The last adventure of the day was a private boat tour of Novi Sad along the Dunabe (Dunav). The weather was perfect and it just felt great to be out there. Day one ended with a simple dinner at a restaurant on the coast of the Dunav. Everything I did today moved at a leisurely pace just like past participants said it would. According to Ceca, life is like that everyday in Serbia. I suppose I'll really be living by her motto polako (take it easy) for these next months. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers