Thursday, September 1, 2011

Novi Sad


Belgrade Airport

After traveling for over twenty-four hours and depriving myself of adequate sleep, I have finally arrived to the country that will be my home for the next nine months. First stop: Novi Sad. I find the city to be beautiful and I personally cannot wait to explore. Tonight Ceca and her husband treated us to a Serbian dinner consisting of traditional dishes. I found most of the food to be enjoyable and felt relief when I realized that the food of Serbia will suit my palette just fine. Soon after, we found a sladoled [ice cream!] shop where each of us ordered in Serbian and enjoyed our delicious snack as we walked around the town square uncovering new places. I obviously would not want this discovery phase to end, but I look forward to the point in the trip where I will actually feel like I live in Novi Sad rather than like I'm visiting it. At the moment, the honeymoon phase is cushioning me from the culture shock that is inevitably coming in these next few weeks or maybe even days. I imagine it will come sometime when the language barrier or the distance from home slaps me right in the face and makes me realize that I'm not in America anymore and that I will have to adjust. Charlotte and I took itty bitty steps toward this adjustment by reviewing both the latin and cyrillic alphabets and learning the numbers. Taking the time to learn the foundation of this challenging language will most definitely be beneficial in the long run and hopefully for our first day of class tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to it. Laku noć [good night]!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers