Saturday, October 1, 2011

Happy One Month!

It’s strange to think that one-ninth of this experience has already gone by. In a month’s time, I’ve managed to find my way around Novi Sad as I walk (or bus) from home to school, school to Jazas (my volunteer organization), and  Jazas to home; slip in between there occasional trips to cafes with friends, and it may seem as if I am ready to call myself a resident of Serbia. However, I’ve come to find that despite my familiarity with the city, there will always be a part of me that will be a visitor.  In case my mediocre (if that) Serbian skills are not obvious enough, my appearance is sure to be a dead giveaway. In case you were wondering, not that many black people are walking the streets of Novi Sad, so stares are inevitable. Consciously I am totally aware of the fact that the looks are not coming from a place of malice, but subconsciously when it seems like all eyes are on you, you can’t help but feel uncomfortable and isolated at times. In all honestly, I’m starting to get used to it, but it’s still so foreign to get noticed for something that is no big deal in the States.

Ironically “blending in” is one of the things I miss about home, but besides that, I’m surprisingly not as homesick as I thought I would be. It comes and goes in waves (especially when I talk about my family), so I don’t doubt that an extreme case of homesickness will sneak up on me when I least expect it; but, I’m not keeping my fingers crossed. Fortunately, my host family and the new friendships that I have are helping make Novi Sad feel as close to home as possible.

Of course there are still things that I have to adjust to, like the social and the work aspects of Serbian culture. For one thing, people really like to go out: walk, shop, talk in cafes, etc. From what I’ve seen, the Serbians truly enjoy being in each other’s company and seem to understand that the world has a lot more to offer when you’re out and about than when you’re sitting at home watching television or using the computer. I absolutely admire that about the social culture, but to an extent it’s an adjustment because wanting to hang out at home to just have some time for yourself does not seem that common. The one or two times I’ve turned down going out, I’ve been asked “why”, and I feel pretty silly saying, “I just want to hang out at home.”  I consider myself a rather social person, but there are just times when I want a moment to myself to think (or to not think).

On another note, the working world here in Serbia may not be what Americans would deem productive. Work isn’t necessarily about how much one gets done in the time he/she is given, and it’s not the end of the world if every task on the day’s to-do list doesn’t get completed. This hypothetical to-do list may not even be that long to begin with, resulting in a fair amount of time being spent sitting around. Admittedly, I’ve been struggling with the fact that I do a lot of “sitting around”. It’s difficult to accept that I came to Serbia to work, but due to the language barrier and to the simple fact that the amount of work is minimal; there isn’t always that much for me to do. On the other hand, I am learning that there is value in not filling every moment with work and using that time to savor just being in the company of others.

The balance between work and play here in Serbia is definitely different than it is in America, and that doesn’t necessarily make one culture better or worse than the other. In fact, it just makes me want to use these next eight months to embrace the Serbian culture to the best of my capability..., because when else would I have the chance for an experience like this?

3 comments:

  1. girl. I feel you... I live in a very small town and everyone knows that I am "the american". stares stares stares. and the homesicknesses is the same. sometimes i dont even think of it... other times it hits really hard. It seems like you are loving it though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dom - talk to Jacob...He's a master at what he calls "chillaxing"! LOL! Ms. Sackett

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand how you feel. For one embrace the stares. I have been in quite a few situations when all eyes were on me. I say just smile and enjoy the moment. Its kinda cool to feel almost like a star:) So when the stares happen use that time to put forth a good impression. Because all eyes are on you:)

    ReplyDelete

Followers