Tuesday, February 21, 2012

And we're back

Firstly, I would like to make up for some lost time, so...Meppy Christmahannukwanzikah! Happy New Year! Happy Martin Luther King, Jr. Day! Happy Presidents' Day! Happy Valentine's Day! Did I miss any other major holiday since I've last posted? I've realized how long it's been since my last post and am determined to bring my blog back to life. I don't want to bog you folks down with information overload, so an as-brief-as-I-can life update will have to suffice until I get back into the grove of writing these things regularly.

Hmm, where to start?

In the beginnng of January I went to Budapest with my Novi Sad homestay sisters, Dunja and Nikica; their friend, Bobi; and Dunja's boyfriend, Nikola. It was my first time visiting a "traditional" looking European city, and I savored every minute of it. We wandered around the two parts of the city for hours, shopping, eating, sight-seeing, soaking in the sun, etc. The trip contributed to ending the first half of my journey with a bang.

The Fisherman's Tower was my favorite
structure we saw over the course of our 36-hour trip.

The view of the other half of
Budapest (I think the "Pest" half)
 from the Fisherman's Tower.

Heroes' Square

On January 9th, the BYP Serbia group started the second half of its adventure by moving to Niš. As we drove into the city, there was snow on the ground and mountains within plain sight. Regardless of these immediate physical indicators, we could sense the multidtude of differences between this true Serbian city and the Vojvodinian city that is Novi Sad were waiting for us to discover them. Our first week was spent getting acquainted with our new home via some sight-seeing and a scavenger hunt.

view of Niš's city center from its fortress


just hanging out at the remains of an old mosque in the fortress

We had the opportunity to visit the WWII concentration camp,
Crveni Krst (Red Cross). It was the first time I had ever been to one,
and it was a bone-chilling and surreal experience.

 One of the upper floors of the main building was
where vicitms were kept. Anywhere from 20 to
30 people were crowded into each cell.

The Skull Tower constructed by the Turks and
made of -surprise!- the skulls of Serbian soldiers.

As soon as our orientation week ended, we moved in with our new homestay families, started work, and continued our Serbian lessons the following Monday. I reside at the Ković residence with Darko (dad), Emilija (mom), Miša (17 year old brother), Nina (9 year old sister), and Baka (grandmom). They're definitely a spirited and fun family. I love how they watch movies and play card games often and lunch with Darko's parents every Saturday afternoon. Although their family dynamic is different than that of the Skorić's, it suits me just fine.


my new room

I got to go snowboarding with Darko and Miša (they skiied)!

view from the slope

I work at Svratište za decu ulice, or Drop-in Center for Street Children, during the weekdays. There I hang out with the children; we eat snacks, color, play board games, share our limited vocabulary in various foreign languages, and just talk. Despite how unfortunate their home lives may be, they are a cheerful and enthusiastic bunch, and their joy is infectious.

I hope I haven't disappointed, but that is honestly all that's happened in these last two and a half months. It feels good to be back, so I'll surely post again when I have more to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers